E-File your Taxes at the Central Library
If your income is $64,000 or less, you qualify to receive free online tax return filing assistance from New York State Tax Return Department volunteers. Our volunteers will guide you through the tax preparation software as you electronically prepare and file your personal income tax return at no charge. Help will be available at the Central Library of Rochester & Monroe County, in the Business & Social Science Division on the 4th floor of the Bausch & Lomb Public Library Building, on Wednesdays from 10:30 am - 3 pm and on Saturdays from 11 am - 5 pm. Visit our websiteherefor a complete list of dates and times or contact the Business Division at (585) 428-8130.
What you will need to bring
- A copy of last year's Tax Return
- Photo ID
- Proof of Income (Forms W-2, 1098, 1099 or other documents showing income)
- Forms 1095-A,B, or C, Affordable Healthcare statement
- Healthcare Insurance Exemption Certificate (If applicable)
- Information regarding any credits you are claiming
- Bank Account information ( for direct deposit of refund)
- Your E-file PIN (if you have e-filed in the past)
The IRS also offers E-file Help
The IRS, through its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)/ Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program, also offers free tax preparation to qualified taxpayers. Find a VITA/TCE location by calling 1-800-906-9887 or visit www.IRS.gov
For more information regarding filing income taxes, tax forms & instructions, and information regarding free CASH tax preparation program, please call the Business and Social Science Division at (585) 428-8130.